Especially when traveling somewhere, it becomes important to share your location with friends and family members so that they can track your whereabouts. The real-time location sharing helps them keep track of your location and also offers a better idea about your estimated time of arrival.
With iOS 17, Apple has further simplified the process of sharing location with your dear ones; and that too without having to leave the conversation thread. Let me show you how to share and manage location in iMessage on iPhone in iOS 17.
Must-Have Requirements for Sharing Location via iMessage on iPhone in iOS 17
Before moving ahead, make sure to fulfill all the essential requirements.
- Ensure that your device is running iOS 17 or iPadOS 17
- Make sure you have an active data plan.
- Ensure that you have enabled Location Services and that the Apple Messages app can access your location without any restriction. To do so, go to Settings on your iPhone/iPad -> Privacy & Security -> Location Services -> turn on the toggle for Location Services. After that, select Messages and choose While using the app so that the app can use your location.
- To begin with, open the Messages app on your device and then navigate to a conversation thread where you want to share your location.
- Tap on the + icon at the bottom left corner of the screen.
- Choose Location in the menu.
- Now, you should see your location. Tap on Share to continue.
- Next, select from the three given options:
- Indefinitely: This will share the location until you manually stop it.
- Until End Of Day: If you select this option, the location sharing will automatically stop when the day ends.
- For One Hour: With this option, location sharing will stop after one hour of sharing your location.
- Depending on your needs, you can now add a message (optional) to the location you are sharing. Then, tap on the Send icon to start sharing your location.
Stop Sharing Your Location via iMessage on iPhone in iOS 17
If you have reached your destination and want to stop sharing your location, then you can do it with ease.
- Launch the Messages app and open the conversation where you are sharing your location.
- Tap on the location and hit Stop Sharing My Location.
If you don’t want to share your live location, you can share the pin of your current location.
- Go to the Messages app on your iPhone -> open a chat.
- Tap on the + icon at the bottom left corner and choose Location.
- Tap on the Pin icon.
- After you have pinned the location, tap on the Send Pin button.
Request Someone’s Location via iMessage on iPhone
You can also request your friends to share their location.
- Open a chat inside the Messages app on your device.
- Tap on the + icon -> Location.
- Next, tap on the Request button.
- Then, tap on the Send button to send the location request.
Send Location Through Location Request on iPhone
If someone has requested your location and you want to send your location, then you can respond to it without any problem either.
- Open the Messages app -> head into the conversation.
- On the location request message, you should see the Share button; tap on it.
- After that, select from the three options: Indefinitely, Until End of Day, and For One Hour.
- Then, tap on the Send icon to start sharing your location.
There you go! So, that’s how simple location sharing has become in iMessage. This feature can come in super handy when you are on the go and want to let your dear ones know about your whereabouts.
It’s also important to note that the Apple Messages app has got another neat way to info your loved ones about your ETA. Yeah, you got that right! I’m talking about “Apple Check In”. Be sure to check out this latest addition to the messaging app, if you haven’t unraveled it as yet. And if you have a liking for hilarious stickers, Live Stickers will win you over.