It has only been a few months since OpenAI launched its AI-based chatbot ChatGPT for the public. The Generative Pre-Trained Transformer (GPT)-based AI tool gained immense popularity among users, although it was only available as a web client. However, to achieve the mission of converting advanced research projects into useful, consumer-focused tools, OpenAI has now released its uber-popular ChatGPT on Apple’s iOS platform.
So, if you are an iOS user, gear up, as we will dive into the new ChatGPT app for iOS and explore every little detail about it in this in-depth guide. In the process, you will also find step-by-step guides on how to install the ChatGPT app on your iPhone and use the power of OpenAI’s “quite intelligent” AI tool on the go.
Install ChatGPT App on iPhone
After launching its ChatGPT AI chatbot as a web client for users in November 2022, OpenAI announced the release of the ChatGPT app for iOS on May 18, 2023. Although the app was initially limited to the US, the company recently released ChatGPT for iOS in various other countries including Algeria, Argentina, Ecuador, Ghana, India, and more.
Much like the ChatGPT web client, the ChatGPT app for iOS gained a lot of traction and crossed the 500,000 downloads mark in the first six days after launching in the US. Furthermore, the app is currently leading the charts for Top Free Apps on the Apple App Store. You can follow the steps right below to easily install the ChatGPT app on your iOS device:
1. Open the App Store on your iOS device.
2. Go to the Search tab on the bottom navigation bar.
3. Use the search bar above to find ChatGPT.
4. In the search results, tap the ChatGPT (the official app by OpenAI) listing. If you are reading this on your iPhone, you can also tap this link to directly open the ChatGPT download page on the App Store on your device.
5. Tap the Get button on the download page.
6. Confirm your App Store download with your Face ID or Touch ID.
7. Wait for the ChatGPT app for iOS to install on your iPhone.
8. Once the installation is complete, the ChatGPT app will be added to your App Library on your iPhone.
9. It can also be automatically added to the Home Screen on your iOS device if you have the relevant setting enabled. If it is not added automatically, you can tap and hold the ChatGPT app on the App Library page and tap the Add to Home Screen button on the context menu.
So, this way, you can easily install the new ChatGPT app for iOS on your iPhone. However, do keep in mind that it is only compatible with iPhones and iPods running iOS 16.1 or above. If your device does not support the required iOS version, the ChatGPT app will, unfortunately, not run on your iPhone or iPod Touch model.
Set Up ChatGPT App on iPhone
Now, following the installation of the ChatGPT app on your iOS device, you can use the following steps to set it up on your iPhone:
1. Open the ChatGPT app on your iPhone from the Home Screen or the App Library.
2. Use your preferred login method to log into your ChatGPT account.
Note: If you already have a ChatGPT account on the web client, you can use the same to log into the ChatGPT app on iOS to enable History sync.
3. Provide your login credentials to log into your ChatGPT account.
4. Wait for the app to check your system health.
5. Now, you are all set to use the ChatGPT app on your iPhone.
Use ChatGPT App on iPhone
Now, coming to the usage and features of the new ChatGPT app for iOS, they are pretty similar to the web client. However, there are a few additional features that OpenAI integrated into the ChatGPT iOS app to make it more user-friendly on mobile devices.
We will go through each of the features of the new ChatGPT app for iOS in the following sections. So, check them out to know every aspect of the ChatGPT app on your iPhone.
Start a New Chat in ChatGPT App on iPhone
Once you set up the ChatGPT app on your iOS device, a new chat will be automatically opened on your iPhone.
1. You can now provide simple or complex prompts to ChatGPT to get relevant responses.
2. However, in case you want to end the current chat and start a new one in ChatGPT for iOS, you can tap the three-dot button at the top right corner.
3. Then select the New chat button on the context menu.
4. This will not delete your previous chat but move it to the Chat History of your account.
Access Chat History in ChatGPT App on iPhone
As aforementioned, the ChatGPT app for iOS is essentially an extension of the ChatGPT web client as it syncs all your previous ChatGPT chats on your iPhone for you to access them on the go. However, it is worth mentioning that you need to be logged in with the same account in the ChatGPT web client and in the iOS app to enable syncing.
You can use the following steps to access your ChatGPT chat history within the ChatGPT app for iOS on your iPhone:
1. While in a new or existing chat in ChatGPT for iOS, tap the three-dot button at the top right.
2. On the context menu, tap the History button.
3. Your ChatGPT chat history will be presented in an interactive UI.
4. You can slide up the History UI in ChatGPT to enter the full-screen mode and scroll through your previous chats.
5. You can also use the search bar above to find a specific chat you are looking for on your ChatGPT chat list.
Use Voice Input in ChatGPT App on iPhone
To make the ChatGPT app for iOS more mobile-friendly, OpenAI integrated its open-source speech-recognition system dubbed Whisper into it. This essentially enables the ChatGPT app on iPhones to register voice input along with texts.
So yes, you can use the below steps to provide prompts to the ChatGPT app for iOS with your voice instead of typing them out on your iPhone keyboard:
1. While on a new or existing chat in the ChatGPT app for iOS, tap the audio-wave icon at the right-hand side of the text box (screenshot below).
2. This will immediately start recording your voice.
3. Speak into your iPhone mic and provide a prompt as clearly as possible.
4. Tap the Tap to stop recording button to stop the recording.
5. Once you stop the recording, it takes a few seconds for ChatGPT to convert the voice input into a text prompt.
6. After the prompt is generated, it will automatically appear in the text box. You can edit the prompt if there are any mistakes.
7. Once you are satisfied with it, tap the Send button to send the prompt.
During our testing of the voice-input feature in the ChatGPT app for iOS, it worked perfectly fine, converting the voice into text prompts in a matter of a few seconds. However, if you do not have much problem with typing out your prompts, we’d recommend you do that as the voice-input feature can be a bit inaccurate sometimes.
Change the Main Language in ChatGPT App on iPhone
Now, once you install the ChatGPT app on your iOS device, the app will automatically detect the language set on your device and set the app’s language based on that.
However, if the Auto-Detect setting for the language in the ChatGPT app for iOS is somehow incorrect on your iPhone, you can use the following steps to manually change the primary language of the app on your device:
1. Tap the three-dot button in the ChatGPT app on your iPhone.
2. On the context menu, tap the Settings option.
3. Under the Speech section, tap Main Language. This should be set to Auto-Detect by default.
4. You can now choose your preferred language from the drop-down list and tap it to set it as the primary language for the ChatGPT app on iOS.
Delete Chat History in ChatGPT App on iPhone
The ChatGPT app for iOS also enables users to delete their entire chat history from their iPhones. You can check out the following steps to delete your ChatGPT chat history right from your iOS device:
1. Go to the ChatGPT Settings page as explained in the previous section.
2. Under the Account section, tap the Data Controls option.
3. Tap the Clear chat history on the following page.
4. Confirm your action on the following prompt.
Important Note: Once you confirm the action, all your previous chats associated with your ChatGPT account, including the ones that were started on the ChatGPT web client, will be deleted and it cannot be undone.
5. After the confirmation, all your previous ChatGPT chats will be deleted forever.
Upgrade to ChatGPT Plus in ChatGPT App on iPhone
Although the basic features of ChatGPT are available to users for free, OpenAI offers a $20/ month (Rs 1,999/month in India) ChatGPT Plus subscription plan for users with added benefits. With this, they can access OpenAI’s latest GPT-4 model in the ChatGPT web client as well as on the iOS app for more accurate and faster responses. Other than that, ChatGPT Plus subscribers get early access to new ChatGPT features and a priority pass when server traffic is high.
Until the ChatGPT app for iOS came along, users were able to subscribe to ChatGPT Plus via the ChatGPT web client or the PWA version in Windows. However, you can now use the following steps to subscribe to ChatGPT Plus right from your iPhone via the ChatGPT app for iOS:
1. Launch the ChatGPT app on your iPhone and go to the Settings page
2. Here, you can either tap the Subscription option or the Upgrade to ChatGPT Plus button. Both options will initiate the subscription process.
3. Hit the Subscribe button on the following prompt.
4. Follow the on-screen instructions Confirm your purchase via Face ID or Touch ID on the following prompt.
Note: Your subscription payment will be auto-deducted every month from the account that is registered with your Apple account.
Now, you are all set to use the additional ChatGPT Plus features in the ChatGPT app for iOS as well as on the web client as long as you are logged in with the same ChatGPT account on your iPhone and on the web client.
Uninstall ChatGPT App From Your iPhone
Now, if you want to get rid of the ChatGPT app on your iPhone, you can use the below steps to uninstall the app from your iOS device:
1. Locate the ChatGPT app on your iOS device, whether in the App Library or on the Home Screen.
2. Tap and hold the ChatGPT icon.
3. Hit the Delete App button on the context menu.
This will uninstall the ChatGPT app on your iOS device and remove all its data from your iPhone.
Delete Your ChatGPT Account via ChatGPT App on iPhone
Want to entirely delete your ChatGPT account? You can do that too via the new ChatGPT app for iOS right from your iPhone. However, do keep in mind that deleting your ChatGPT account will delete all your chats, profile info, and API usage forever and there will be no way to retrieve them or your account. You can, however, create a new ChatGPT account and start using it from scratch.
With those being said, let’s take a look at how you can delete your ChatGPT account via the ChatGPT app for iOS on your iPhone:
1. Open the ChatGPT app on your iOS device and go to the Settings page.
2. Tap the Data Controls option on the list.
3. Here, tap the Delete Account button.
4. Confirm your action on the following prompt.
Following your confirmation, your ChatGPT account will be permanently deleted.
Is there a ChatGPT app for iPhone?
Although there are quite a few apps for iPhones using OpenAI’s GPT language models, the company recently released an official ChatGPT app for iOS that is compatible with iPhones and iPod Touch models running iOS 16.1 or above.
Is there a ChatGPT app for Android?
Unfortunately, there is currently no official ChatGPT app available for the Android platform. However, OpenAI has confirmed that it is working to release an Android version of the ChatGPT app real soon.
Is ChatGPT free on iOS?
The ChatGPT app for iOS is completely free to download and use on compatible iPhones. Users, however, have the option to subscribe to the ChatGPT Plus subscription plan for ~$20/ month via the ChatGPT app for iOS.
How to download the ChatGPT app on my iPhone?
You can either search for the official ChatGPT app for iOS on the Apple App Store or go to the Top Free Apps chart in the App Store and “Get” the ChatGPT app installed on your iPhone.
So, there you have it! This was all about the newly-launched ChatGPT app for iOS. It is really fascinating to witness OpenAI work so fast to bring its uber-popular AI chatbot to one of the major mobile platforms.
Furthermore, the company is working to launch an Android version of the ChatGPT app soon to cater to more users around the world. So, if you are an Android user, it is only a matter of time before you can start using the ChatGPT app on your Android smartphone.