There are situations where you may be using your Windows laptop in a public place or your office, and you step away from the computer, such as to take a walk or answer a call. After completing the call, you realize that you were working on something sensitive and forgot to shut down your laptop.
If anyone sees it, it could jeopardize your job. Most of us may have gone through these situations, and to fix this, we have rushed to our computer, leaving everything behind. Our computers contain crucial information, sensitive data, passwords, media and photos, work files, etc., and no one wants a stranger to access their files.
Therefore, to counter problems like this, Windows 11 comes with a feature called Dynamic Lock. In this article, let us look at what Dynamic Lock is and how it can add an extra layer of protection to your computer.
What is Dynamic Lock in Windows 11?
Dynamic Lock is a security feature in Windows 11 that automatically locks your computer when you walk away from it. To do this, it requires your smartphone paired with the system to detect when you’re no longer near the system. When you’re not in range or when the Bluetooth device disconnects, it locks your PC after a short delay.
Using Dynamic Lock on your PC can be a helpful way to protect your computer from unauthorized access. Here are some of the reasons why you should use this feature on your computer:
- It protects your PC from prying eyes and malicious users.
- It is a convenient way to lock your system when you’re not around.
- Easy to set up and use.
- It makes the locking process automatic.
Now, before moving to the setup and using part, here are some things that you should keep in mind:
- Dynamic Lock will only work when you’ve paired a Bluetooth device with your computer.
- Dynamic Lock might not be effective in all situations, such as if you’re in a crowded area.
Enable and Use Dynamic Lock in Windows 11
Just like any other sign-in option in Windows 11, Dynamic Lock is also not set up by default. Configuring Dynamic Lock on your computer is a pretty straightforward process that requires two things: pairing a smartphone and enabling it from the Settings app. Here’s a step-by-step guide to help you with the process:
Pairing Your Smartphone Via Bluetooth
Follow these steps to connect your mobile phone to your computer using Bluetooth:
1. Toggle on Bluetooth on your PC and the smartphone.
2. Turn on Bluetooth visibility on your phone.
3. Open the Settings app on your PC and head to the Bluetooth and Devices section.
4. Click on Add Devices.
5. Select the device type as Bluetooth.
6. Click on the name of your phone.
7. You’ll get a pairing request on your phone, on which click on Pair.
8. Click the Connect button on your PC, and the phone will get connected to the computer.
Enable Dynamic Lock
After connecting your phone, all you need to do is turn on the feature from the Settings app. Here’s how you can do it:
1. Open the Settings app by pressing Win + I on your keyboard.
2. Click on Accounts.
3. Select Sign-in options settings.
4. Under Additional settings, expand the section for Dynamic lock, and check the box for Allow Windows to automatically lock your device when you’re away option.
Now, whenever you move out of the Bluetooth range, your PC will be automatically locked to protect your files.
How Do I Enable or Disable Lock Screen in Windows 11?
To enable a lock screen on Windows 11, you need to set up a sign-in option like fingerprint recognition, facial recognition, or a security pin. To do that, open the Settings app on your PC, head to the Accounts section, and then under the Accounts settings, click on Sign-in options. Now, enable the desired option, and you’re good to go.
To disable the lock screen on Windows 11, open the Settings app, go to the Accounts section, click on Sign-in options, and under the Ways to Sign-in options, expand the Pin section, and click the Remove button. If the remove button is greyed out on your computer, scroll down, and under Additional settings, toggle off the following option: For improved security, only allow Windows Hello sign-in for Microsoft accounts on this device.
How Do I Enable Windows Lock?
You can enable the Windows Lock by going to the Sign-in options in Settings. You can find the steps in the last FAQ. Moreover, you can also toggle on the Windows Lock by pressing Win + L on your keyboard.
Improve Privacy With Dynamic Lock in Windows 11
Dynamic Lock is a valuable feature in Windows 11, and you can use it to enhance the security of your computer. The process to enable or disable Dynamic Lock is pretty straightforward and by following the mentioned steps, you can easily set it up on your computer.